Photo courtesy of the Rockefeller Archive Center.
In 1975, the trustees of the late Winthrop Rockefeller’s estate established the Winrock International Livestock Research and Training Center in his adopted home state of Arkansas. In 1985, the organization merged with the Agricultural Development Council, which had been founded in 1953 by John D. Rockefeller 3rd, and the Rockefeller Foundation’s International Agricultural Development Service. This new aggregation was renamed Winrock International Institute for Agricultural Development, and eventually simply Winrock International. The RBF made grants for general operating support to help the merger begin on the right footing. Today, Winrock International works in more than 60 countries to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. Key projects have included rice banks in Southeast Asia, banana-ripening and safe fish-handling in Pakistan, and sustainable resin-harvesting in Cambodia.
Browse the major events in the Rockefeller Brothers Fund's history