Photo courtesy of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Pocantico Center Expansion
In 1924, John D. Rockefeller, Jr., asked New York Architect Duncan Candler to prepare plans for a “playhouse,” similar in style to his Abeyton Lodge home, where he and his family could relax and entertain outside of the public eye. The Playhouse long served as the Rockefeller family seat and hosts the biannual gatherings of more than 270 members of the Rockefeller family today. Following in the footsteps of his brothers Nelson and Laurance, David Rockefeller bequeathed the Playhouse upon his death in 2017 to the National Trust for Historic Preservation. In 2018, it joined Kykuit as part of The Pocantico Center. The RBF elected to rename the Playhouse in homage to its founders’ childhood home, Abeyton Lodge. This new name honors the spirit of togetherness and innovative, cooperative philanthropy that was nurtured in the family’s home and reflects the nature of the building’s continuing use as a place of learning, collaboration, and growth. Today, Abeyton Lodge offers expanded rehearsal and meeting space to support cultural performances, conferences, presentations, and other programs in support of the Fund’s mission.