Photo courtesy of the Rockefeller Archive Center.
Palisades Park Expansion
In 1958, a gift from the Fund helped the Palisades Interstate Park Commission expand the Palisades Interstate Park on the Hudson River northwest of New York City. Encouraged by RBF trustee and American Conservation Association board member Laurance Rockefeller, the Fund pledged $400,000 toward the acquisition of land near Rockland Lake, extending the park’s Hook Mountain section. This area was the last remaining Palisades site available for park purposes. Close to transportation, it was especially accessible to city residents, and alleviated overcrowding in other sections. The Fund’s gift enabled the Commission to achieve its fundraising goals in the private sector, and thus to qualify for matching funds from the State of New York. In addition to environmental protection, the expansion set aside conserved areas for education, and toward this end the Fund donated an additional $125,000 to study the feasibility of nature centers and other public programming.