Photo courtesy of the Rockefeller Archive Center.
The New York Zoological Society
The New York Zoological Society was incorporated in 1896 for instruction and recreation through a zoological park, the promotion of zoology through collections, publications, and research, and the protection of the animal life of the world. Housed since 1899 in the Bronx through an agreement with the City of New York, the New York Zoological Park, known as the “Bronx Zoo,” remains one of the largest and most-visited wildlife conservation parks in the world. Founding RBF trustee Laurance Rockefeller served as the Society’s vice president beginning in 1946, when the Fund also began its support. The RBF contributed significantly to the Society’s operational expenses and various capital campaigns through 1981, as well as to its educational outreach programs, research initiatives, and global wildlife preservation activities.
Browse the major events in the Rockefeller Brothers Fund's history