Photo courtesy of the Rockefeller Archive Center.
In the 1950s, the Fund expanded the Rockefeller family tradition of support for International House in New York City. Established in 1924 by YMCA official Harry Edmonds through the philanthropy of John D. Rockefeller, Jr., and the Cleveland H. Dodge family, International House sought to provide positive cultural exchange for international students through social events and residential facilities. After JDR, Jr., funded a major building rehabilitation in the early 1950s, the Fund provided essential general operating support for an expanded range of programs. These included counseling services, a scholarship program, and more educational activities. With RBF support, International House began to sponsor student-initiated conferences, forums on American social, economic, political, and cultural life, and weekend and overnight trips to American cultural heritage sites and small towns outside the environs of New York City. For many years, founding RBF trustee David Rockefeller served on the board of International House.
Browse the major events in the Rockefeller Brothers Fund's history