The Fund Joins as a Signatory to the United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment
Posted on: March 6, 2017
The Rockefeller Brothers Fund is pleased to become a signatory to the United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) as part of the Fund’s continuing efforts to align its investments with its philanthropic mission. The PRI was first launched in 2006 by a group of 20 of the world’s largest institutional investors from 12 countries, brought together by the UN Secretary-General. Now, its network of nearly 1,700 member institutions collaborate to implement and promote a set of voluntary principles that integrate environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors into their investment analysis.
The six key principles of the PRI aim to further understanding and importance of sustainable investing and support the incorporation of ESG issues into decision making and ownership practices:
- We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- We will promote acceptance and implementation of the principles within the investment industry.
- We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the principles.
- We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the principles.
Over the years, the Fund’s efforts to implement mission-aligned investing policies have evolved and deepened. This mission-aligned investment lens includes divesting from fossil fuels, investing using environmental, social, and governance (ESG) criteria, deploying its endowment dollars in impact investments that support its philanthropic priorities, and leveraging our role as a shareholder in strategic ways to advance our mission. Signing on to the PRI's framework, as its largest U.S. foundation at this time, builds on these efforts.